J.D., cum laude, New York University School of Law
M.A., Duke University
B.S., summa cum laude, Lafayette College
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth and Federal Circuits
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Karin represents a variety of clients on intellectual property matters, with special focus on patent litigation involving an array of subject matter and patent prosecution in the biotechnology and medical device industries.
- Litigates patent disputes involving a wide variety of technologies, including global positioning system (GPS) devices, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, and pesticides.
- Member of a successful trial team that obtained invalidity and non-infringement rulings on behalf of a large telecommunications company in patent infringement case pertaining to data cards. Drafted pre-trial motions and post-trial briefs.
- Member of a team that secured a victory for a client ARM, Ltd. in defense of claims of patent infringement pertaining to the design of microprocessors.
- Represented leading maker of personal navigation devices in lawsuit resulting in ruling of patent invalidity. Drafted summary judgment brief, discovery responses, and objections.
- Represented large telecommunications company in patent infringement action relating to alerts technology. Obtained summary judgment of invalidity. Responsible for discovery and drafted claim construction brief. Case affirmed on appeal.
- Represented clients in Hatch-Waxman litigations related to extended release formulation pharmaceutical product and small molecule pharmaceutical product.
- Prosecutes patent applications for pharmaceutical companies.
- Represents a large medical device manufacturer in counseling and prosecution matters.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Duke University Department of Biochemistry (2003-2004)
- Research Assistant, Lafayette College Department of Chemistry (2001-2002)
- Received 2011 Burton Legal Writing Award
News & Insights
- September 22, 2017 | Alert
- November 30, 2016 | Press Release
- May 5, 2016 | AlertKarin A. Hessler
- October 28, 2014 | Press Release
- June 27, 2013 | Media MentionLaw360
- October 2, 2012 | Press Release
- April 26, 2011 | Press Release