J.D., cum laude, Washington University School of Law
B.A., Emory University
Associate Editor, Washington University Journal of Law & Policy
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Katy represents a broad cross-section of telecommunications industry clients on a variety of regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters. She has significant expertise in wireless issues, including matters involving unmanned aircraft systems (UAS or drones). A certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, Katy uses the LLSI process and project management tools to continually improve the value proposition the firm delivers to its clients.
- Assists clients with Federal Communication Commission (FCC) wireless and satellite issues in a rapidly changing regulatory environment, frequently preparing comments, reply comments, oppositions, and other legal pleadings.
- Particular experience with all aspects of securing FCC approval for both complex mergers and acquisitions as well as smaller telecommunications transactions.
- Provides advice on U.S. unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) legal, regulatory, and public policy issues, including analysis of FCC and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and state and local considerations.
- Assists with drafting and negotiating commercial agreements regarding communications transactions.
- Advises established and emerging space ventures on satellite, earth station, and international telecommunications matters. Assists satellite clients with satellite applications, milestone compliance, and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Provides advice on FCC regulation of private and commercial mobile radio services and products.
- Counsels clients on emerging regulation applicable to broadband connected devices/Internet of Things (IoT).
- Experience in data privacy/security issues, particularly concerning security updates and patching.
- Advocates for communications clients' policy objectives before federal agencies and Congress.
- Has experience advising clients about broadband funding programs established by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) and the Rural Utilities Service (RUS).
- Maintains an active pro bono practice. Katy has represented indigent individuals in landlord/tenant matters and in multiple Social Security benefits appeals.
- Intern, U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Illinois, Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (2008)
- Legal Intern, Advocacy Forum-Nepal (2007)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, Internet of Things Committee
- Named to Law360's Telecommunications Editorial Advisory Board (2018)
- Named one of DCA Live's "Rising Stars of Law 40 under 40" (2018)
- Named one of DC's "Rising Stars" for Communications by Super Lawyers magazine (2017-2018)
- Selected as a semi-finalist in the "2018 Women to Watch in UAS" awards.
News & Insights
- July 18, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnectKaty M. Ross
- June 19, 2018 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementFederal Communications Bar AssociationKaty M. Ross, Speaker
- May 9, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnect
- May 4, 2018 | Williamsburg, VA | Speaking EngagementFederal Communications Bar Association (FCBA) Annual SeminarKaty M. Ross, Moderator
- May 2018 | Newsletter
- April 19, 2018 | AlertUpdate on FCC NPRM Intended to Mitigate Communications Supply Chain Risks Through Universal Service Fund Regime
- April 18, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnect
- April 17, 2018 | Alert
- March 23, 2018 | Alert
- March 5, 2018 | Alert
- February 14, 2018 | Blog Post
- January 24, 2018 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementFederal Communications Bar AssociationKaty M. Ross, Moderator
- December 21, 2017 | Alert
- December 20, 2017 | Media MentionCommunications Daily
- December 18, 2017 | Alert
- November 16, 2017 | Press Release
- November 9, 2017 | Alert
- November 9, 2017 | ArticleWileyConnect
- October 26, 2017 | Alert
- October 26, 2017 | ArticleWileyConnectSara M. Baxenberg, Katy M. Ross
- October 2, 2017 | Alert
- October 2, 2017 | ArticleWileyConnect
- August 9, 2017 | Media MentionLaw360
- July 12, 2017 | Speaking EngagementWho Flies There? Emerging Legal Issues in Drone Identification and Counter-Drone TechnologiesWiley Rein Webinar
- July 1, 2017 | ArticleNatural Gas & Electricity
- June 2017 | Newsletter
- April 24, 2017 | Alert
- March 23, 2017 | Article
- November 4, 2016 | Alert
- October 21, 2016 | Alert
- September 7, 2016 | ArticleChanges to the FCC’s Bond Requirements Ease Burdens on Satellite LicenseesSatelliteFinanceJennifer D. Hindin, Katy M. Ross
- September 2, 2016 | Alert
- August 30, 2016 | ArticleWileyConnectKaty M. Ross
- August 11, 2016 | ArticleUAS Vision
- August 1, 2016 | Alert
- July 18, 2016 | Alert
- July 14, 2016 | Alert
- June 22, 2016 | Alert
- May 11, 2016 | ArticleLaw360
- May 4, 2016 | Alert
- April 15, 2016 | Press Release
- April 6, 2016 | Alert
- March 30, 2016 | Alert
- March 17, 2016 | ArticleUAS Vision
- March 14, 2016 | Alert
- December 18, 2015 | Alert
- December 14, 2015 | Alert
- November 20, 2015 | AlertFAA Announces Next Steps for UAS Registration: Receipt of Task Force Recommendations, Issuance of Interim Final Rule, and Opportunity for Public Comment
- November 9, 2015 | Las Vegas, NV | Speaking Engagement2015 Unmanned Aircraft Systems Issues and Integration ConferenceKaty M. Ross, Panelist
- October 21, 2015 | Alert
- October 6, 2015 | Alert
- August 11, 2015 | AlertKaty M. Ross
- July 14, 2015 | Alert
- May 8, 2015 | Cambridge, MD | Speaking EngagementConsequences of Net Neutrality: Perspectives from Across the Industry2015 FCBA Annual SeminarKaty M. Ross, Co-Moderator
- May 6, 2015 | Atlanta, GA | Speaking EngagementAUVSI's Unmanned Systems 2015Anna M. Gomez, Speaker, Katy M. Ross, Speaker
- April 14, 2015 | Alert
- April 2, 2015 | Austin, TX | Speaking Engagement2015 National Hurricane ConferenceKaty M. Ross, Speaker
- March 27, 2015 | Article
- March 24, 2015 | Article
- February 2015 | Newsletter
- February 18, 2015 | AlertSummary of the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- January 7, 2015 | Alert
- December 9, 2014 | ArticleUnmanned Aerial Online
- December 3, 2014 | AlertSen. Feinstein Plans to Introduce Legislation to “Codify and Expand the Moratorium on Private Drone Use”Katy M. Ross
- September 25, 2014 | Alert
- August 25, 2014 | Alert
- July 2, 2014 | Media MentionLaw360
- June 25, 2014 | Alert
- May 2014 | Newsletter
- April 1, 2014 | Alert
- March 11, 2014 | ArticleLaw360
- February 20, 2014 | ArticleLaw360
- September 24, 2013 | Alert
- August 15, 2013 | Alert
- February 6, 2012 | Press Release
- May 18, 2011 | Press Release