J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
M.S., California Institute of Technology
B.S., Jackson State University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Keith has more than 20 years of private sector and government experience in environmental law related to chemical substances regulation, biopesticides, and genetically engineered organisms. He is a former Director of the Biopesticides and Pollution Prevention Division (BPPD) in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP). Prior to becoming Director of BPPD, Keith served in EPA's Office of General Counsel (OGC), first as a staff attorney, then as an Assistant General Counsel where he supervised attorneys providing legal counsel to programs in EPA's Office of Air and Radiation, Office of Pesticide Programs, and the Office of Research and Development.
Keith's practice focuses on the regulation of chemical substances, including agricultural chemical products, microbial products of biotechnology; and genetically engineered agricultural products that are regulated by EPA and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Keith counsels and advises his clients using his breadth of knowledge on a variety of statutes, including the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA), the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), and the Endangered Species Act.
- Provided to a major agribusiness company a comprehensive analysis of Federal and State statutory, regulatory, and common law requirements and principles applicable to the development, sale, and distribution of genetically engineered food crops in the United States.
- Has counseled numerous companies on the complex regulatory scheme applicable to genetically engineered crops, insects, and animals in the United States.
- Has counseled numerous companies on EPA's regulatory requirements under FIFRA that are applicable to biopesticides and biostimulants.
- Has counseled numerous companies on EPA’s regulatory requirements under TSCA that are applicable to genetically engineered microorganisms.
- Conducted a comprehensive assessment of the environmental, health, and safety (EHS) programs of a Fortune 500 company and provided recommendations to enhance the company’s EHS effectiveness.
- Provided legal counsel to a number of government agency clients, including BPPD, the Office of Air and Radiation, and the Office of Research and Development.
- Extensive experience serving as EPA's lead attorney on highly technical issues of first impression under FIFRA, TSCA, and the agency’s Radiation Program.
- Primary attorney providing advice to the Office of Pesticide Programs in a number of cases where unapproved varieties of genetically engineered foods were found in commerce.
- Provided almost exclusive legal support to the Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics (OPPT) in responding to a petition to regulate formaldehyde under TSCA.
- Director, Biopesticides and Pollution Prevention Division, U.S. EPA’s Office of Pesticide Programs
- EPA’s Office of General Counsel
- Staff Attorney
- Assistant General Counsel
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
- Co-Chair, Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-to-Know Committee
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Chemical Society
News & Insights
- July 12, 2018 | San Francisco, CA | Speaking EngagementCommon challenges and hurdles when navigating the regulatory framework for iopesticides and biostimulants in North AmericaAgBio Innovate USAKeith A. Matthews, Speaker
- March 6, 2018 | AlertKeith A. Matthews
- March 1, 2018 | AlertKeith A. Matthews
- November 9, 2017 | Live Webinar | Speaking EngagementFood and Drug Law InstituteKeith A. Matthews, Speaker
- October 24, 2017 | Research Triangle Park, NC | Speaking EngagementBiotech Roundtable: Gene Editing in Ag BiotechKeith A. Matthews, Speaker
- September 14, 2017 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementInter-Agency Overlap and Jurisdictional BoundariesFDLI Food Advertising, Labeling, and Litigation ConferenceKeith A. Matthews
- June 23, 2017 | Alert
- June 12, 2017 | AlertMartha E. Marrapese, Keith A. Matthews
- June 2017 | Newsletter
- March 2017 | Newsletter
- March 2017 | Newsletter
- March 2017 | Newsletter
- February 28, 2017 | Online Webinar | Speaking Engagement
- February 10, 2017 | AlertUSDA Extends Comment Period for APHIS Proposed Rule Revising Regulations on Environmental Release of GE OrganismsKeith A. Matthews
- February 1, 2017 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Adds Prominent Attorneys to its Environment & Safety and Consumer Product Regulation Practices
- June 17, 2015 | Online Webinar | Speaking EngagementGMO MythbustersNatural Products AssociationKeith A. Matthews, Speaker
- February 5, 2015 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementPolicy Roundtable Lunch Discussion: The Price of Reform: Models for Financing a Toxic Substances Control Act 2.0 (TSCA2.0)ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources and the Environmental Law InstituteKeith A. Matthews, Speaker
- January 27, 2015 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementPreemption of State Authority in TSCA ReformEnvironmental Law Institute Membership SeminarKeith A. Matthews, Speaker
- 2015 | ArticleRegulation of Biopesticides in the United States – What Foreign Companies Should Know to Register Their Products at U.S. EPAIndia Law JournalKeith A. Matthews
- October 23, 2014 | ArticleRegulation of Biopesticides by the Environmental Protection AgencyAmerican Chemical SocietyKeith A. Matthews
- Summer 2014 | ArticleNatural Resources & EnvironmentMartha E. Marrapese, Co-Author, Keith A. Matthews, Co-Author
- July 22, 2014 | Raleigh, NC | Speaking EngagementAdvanced Learning Seminar on Pesticides and Biopesticides Regulatory IssuesInforma ConferencesKeith A. Matthews
- July 22, 2014 | Raleigh, NC | Speaking EngagementThe Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program in the United StatesInforma ConferencesKeith A. Matthews
- June 19, 2014 | Speaking EngagementOverview of the Regulatory Landscape Applicable to Biopesticides and BiostimulantsGAIN Insight into Agri-TechKeith A. Matthews
- May 20, 2014 | Speaking EngagementCrop Biotech Regulatory ChallengesNorth Carolina Biotechnology Center Ag Biotech Entrepreneurial ShowcaseKeith A. Matthews
- March 3, 2014 | Baltimore, MD | Speaking EngagementTesting of Chemical Substances and Mixtures: TSCA Section 4 and Proposed S. 1009Chemistry Council GlobalChem ConferenceKeith A. Matthews
- October 15, 2013 | Speaking EngagementInternational Chemicals RegulationOrganization for International Investment 2013 General Counsel ConferenceKeith A. Matthews
- September 10, 2013 | Speaking EngagementBiopesticides: Registration and Regulatory TrendsAmerican Chemical Society National MeetingKeith A. Matthews
- August 7, 2013 | Speaking EngagementRegulation of Plant BiotechnologyInforma Life Sciences, Plant Biotechnology USAKeith A. Matthews
- 2012 | ArticleRegulation of Genetically Engineered Microorganisms Under FIFRA, FFDCA and TSCA, in Regulation of Agricultural Biotechnology: The United States and CanadaU.S. Environmental Protection Agency PapersKeith A. Matthews