J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., with highest distinction, University of Virginia
Articles Editor, U.Va. Journal of Law and Politics
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, Eastern District of Virginia, and Western District of Virginia
Supreme Court of Virginia
Lee has served as Chairman and Commissioner of the Federal Election Commission (FEC), legal counsel and policy advisor to the Governor of Virginia and Attorney General of Virginia, associate general counsel of the University of Virginia, and general counsel to numerous political organizations. His experience covers a broad range of policy-oriented subjects, including federal and state campaign finance and ethics laws, First Amendment rights of political speech and association, political action on the Internet, taxation of the Internet, interstate regulation, and education and academic freedom. He has extensive experience in all aspects of election administration, having litigated state, local and congressional recounts, election contests, ballot access, voting rights, late poll openings, delegate credentials, and related matters.
Lee advises non-profit organizations, corporations, media organizations, political organizations and individuals on First Amendment rights and laws regulating political activity. He represents clients in litigation before federal and state courts and before federal and state administrative agencies. He also represents clients before Congress, state legislatures, and executive branch offices when a client’s problem can be solved through legislation or executive action.
He has been named a "Top Campaign & Elections Lawyer" by Washingtonian magazine. The Washington Examiner called Lee “a leading voice among conservative regulators in Washington” (2016) and “a tireless voice for First Amendment rights on the Internet” (2018); the Richmond Times-Dispatch dubbed him a “free-speech champion” (2018); The Hill labeled him “a happy warrior for the First Amendment” (2018); and the Washington Post called him a “sharp policy wonk” (1999). He is a frequent lecturer at law schools, universities, civic organizations, and continuing legal education programs. He has authored numerous articles on election law and a chapter on regulation of political speech on the Internet in Law and Election Politics: The Rules of the Game (Routledge 2013), and his writings have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, Richmond Times-Dispatch, Washington Examiner, Washington Times, Politico and other publications. He has served on the boards of several educational, cultural, and political non-profit organizations.
- Advises corporations, media entities, non-profit organizations, and political clients on compliance with restrictions on international political participation, federal and state campaign finance laws, Internal Revenue Service rules, voting rights, pay-to-play rules, ethics and lobbying regulations, and represents their interests before administrative agencies.
- Litigates a broad range of policy-oriented civil matters, including First Amendment rights of political participation, election administration disputes, and Section 1983 claims asserted a variety of Constitutional rights.
- Consults clients on public policy solutions to complex industry regulatory challenges at the federal level as well as state and multi-state levels.
- Chairman (2014), Vice Chairman (2013), and Commissioner (2013-2018), Federal Election Commission
- General Counsel, Republican Party of Virginia (2009-2013)
- Deputy Counselor and Deputy Policy Director, Office of the Governor of Virginia (1998-2002)
- Chief of Staff to the Chairman, Congressional Advisory Commission on Electronic Commerce (1999-2000)
- Counsel to the Attorney General, Office of the Attorney General of Virginia (1997)
- Special Assistant Attorney General & Associate General Counsel, University of Virginia (1995-1996)
News & Insights
- April 13, 2018 | Media MentionC-SPAN’s ‘The Communicators’
- April 4, 2018 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA
- March 15, 2018 | Alert
- March 11, 2018 | Media MentionWall Street Journal
- March 9, 2018 | ArticleThe HillLee E. Goodman
- February 7, 2018 | Press Release
- May 5, 2017 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementElection Law Update: the Upcoming Vote Fraud Commission and Restoring the First AmendmentRepublican National Lawyers Association National Policy ConferenceLee E. Goodman, Panelist
- November 16, 2015 | ArticleWashington ExaminerLee E. Goodman
- June 10, 2015 | ArticleThe HillLee E. Goodman
- May 10, 2015 | ArticlePoliticoLee E. Goodman
- May 8, 2015 | ArticleThe New York TimesLee E. Goodman
- February 23, 2015 | ArticlePoliticoLee E. Goodman, Co-Author
- January 1, 2015 | ArticleThe Wall Street JournalLee E. Goodman
- October 22, 2014 | ArticleWatertown Daily TimesLee E. Goodman
- October 10, 2014 | ArticleThe Washington TimesLee E. Goodman
- September 19, 2014 | Alexandria, VA | Speaking Engagement2014 Liberty Political Action ConferenceLee E. Goodman, Speaker
- April 9, 2014 | ArticleThe New York TimesLee E. Goodman
- February 4, 2014 | ArticleThe Wall Street JournalLee E. Goodman