J.D., with high honors, The George Washington University Law School; Order of the Coif
B.A., magna cum laude, American University
Articles Editor, The George Washington Law Review
Law Clerk for the Honorable Robert C. Chambers, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia (2014-2015)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
New York Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Madeline represents clients in a variety of complex litigation and appellate matters in federal and state courts, as well as in government and internal investigations. A certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, Madeline uses the LLSI process and project management tools to continually improve the value proposition the firm delivers to its clients.
- Representing a law firm in parallel U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) municipal bond investigations.
- Representing an individual in parallel DOJ and SEC insider trading investigations.
- Representing a medical device company in an investigation into potential off-label promotion of its products.
- Representing a contractor in a complex False Claims Act (FCA) investigation into its scheduling and time-charging practices.
- Successfully represented a detained lawful permanent resident before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, obtaining dismissal of his deportation order.
- Represented multiple individuals in connection with an SEC investigation regarding misrepresentation of sales data.
- Represented a luxury goods manufacturer in successfully securing damages and a permanent injunction against an individual for selling counterfeit products.
- Represented a government contractor in a successful settlement with the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) regarding potential debarment.
- Successfully defended a multinational technology company on appeal in a Sarbanes-Oxley Act whistleblower action.
- Represented multiple individuals in a high-profile public corruption investigation.
- Part of a team that represented a major shipbuilder in the successful defense of a $400 million False Claims Act case.
- Represented an individual from China seeking political asylum in the United States before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Represented a pro bono client in an appellate proceeding to secure Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits.
- Research Assistant, Professor Miriam Galston, The George Washington University Law School (2012)
- Legal Intern, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (2012)
- Editorial Assistant, Professor Don Fulsom, American University (2011)
- Intern, New York State Democratic Assembly Campaign Committee (2010)
- New York State Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia (WBA)
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Vice-Chair, Events Committee, American Constitution Society DC Chapter
News & Insights
- October 29, 2019 | PRESS RELEASE
- March 28, 2019 | PRESS RELEASEPocomoke City Commits to Consent Decree, Damages to Black Officers in Partial Settlement of Federal Lawsuit
- February 1, 2019 | ALERTDeputy Associate Attorney General Provides Government Perspective on Revised FCA Enforcement Policies and Suggests More to ComeMadeline J. Cohen, Peter S. Hyun
- January 8, 2019 | PODCASTPolitical Law Podcast
- January 8, 2019 | ARTICLELaw360
- December 13, 2018 | PRESS RELEASE
- December 12, 2018 | MEDIA MENTIONMadeline Cohen and Kevin Muhlendorf Weigh In on DOJ Policy Shift Regarding Corporate Enforcement ActionsBusiness Insurance
- December 3, 2018 | ALERTRevising Yates: Deputy Attorney General Announces New Policy for Pursuing Individuals in Corporate Enforcement ActionsKevin B. Muhlendorf, Madeline J. Cohen
- November 19, 2018 | ALERT
- October 30, 2018 | PRESS RELEASE
- August 20, 2018 | ARTICLELaw360Madeline J. Cohen, P. Nicholas Peterson
- July 3, 2018 | ALERTActing Associate Attorney General Provides DOJ Perspective on Current and Future Civil FCA EnforcementBrandon J. Moss, Madeline J. Cohen
- January 18, 2018 | ARTICLELaw360
- December 18, 2017 | ALERTKevin B. Muhlendorf, Madeline J. Cohen
- November 7, 2017 | PRESS RELEASE
- October 31, 2017 | ARTICLELaw360Madeline J. Cohen, Daniel B. Pickard
- October 3, 2017 | PRESS RELEASE
- March 8, 2017 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief on Behalf of Key Nonprofit and Public Interest Groups in Critical Supreme Court Case Involving Rights of Naturalized U.S. Citizens
- February 14, 2017 | ALERT
- December 7, 2016 | ALERTRoderick L. Thomas, Madeline J. Cohen
- November 1, 2016 | PRESS RELEASE
- September 30, 2016 | ALERTAgencies Finalize Rule Prohibiting Federal Contracts with Corporations that have Federal Tax Liability or a Felony Conviction
- June 2, 2016 | ALERTRoderick L. Thomas, Madeline J. Cohen
- February 29, 2016 | ARTICLE