J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center
B.A., cum laude, Washington & Lee University
Administrative Editor, Georgetown Journal of Law and Public Policy
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Courts for the District of Colorado and Western District of Tennessee
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Margaret represents insurers in connection with coverage issues and disputes arising under professional liability and general liability insurance policies. Margaret, a certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, uses the LLSI process and project management tools to continually improve the value proposition the firm delivers to its clients.
- Advises insurers on potential coverage issues, including the applicability of various policy conditions and exclusions.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with ongoing complex insurance litigation matters in state and federal courts.
- Drafts motions and pleadings on behalf of insurers involved in coverage litigation.
- Conducts legal research addressing a wide variety of issues for clients involved in complex insurance litigation.
- Advises insurers as to their rights and obligations under the Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) statute and Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007.
- Government Relations Intern, American Enterprise Institute (2011)
- Intern, Congressman Eric Cantor and Office of the Republican Whip (2010)
- Intern, Center for Health Transformation (2009)
News & Insights
- February 1, 2018 | NewsletterNinth Circuit Affirms Allegations of Discrimination and Harassment Triggered Duty to Defend Class Action for California Labor Code Violations
- December 1, 2017 | Newsletter
- December 1, 2017 | Newsletter
- November 1, 2017 | NewsletterCourt Declines to Hold Broker Accountable for Insured’s Failure to Report Known Claims in Application
- October 1, 2017 | Newsletter
- October 1, 2017 | NewsletterFollowing New Jersey Statutory Merger, Surviving Entity Acquires All Rights and Obligations Under Target Entity’s Insurance Policy
- September 18, 2017 | AlertKathryn Bucher, Margaret D. Thomas
- September 2017 | NewsletterMissouri Federal Court Denies Motion to Stay Coverage Action Pending Resolution of State Insolvency Proceedings Against Insured
- August 2017 | Newsletter
- July 2017 | NewsletterEighth Circuit Holds No Coverage under Commercial Crime Policy for Theft of Property Owned by Third Party
- June 21, 2017 | Alert
- May 2017 | NewsletterInsured’s Failure to Provide Notice of Demand Letter Precludes Coverage for Related Lawsuit Noticed in Subsequent Policy Period
- April 2017 | NewsletterInitial Inquiry Letter from Office of Disciplinary Counsel Constitutes “Disciplinary Proceeding,” Triggering Notice Obligation
- March 6, 2017 | ArticleThe D&O DiaryDavid H. Topol, Margaret D. Thomas
- March 2017 | NewsletterInsured’s Failure to Obtain Insurer’s Consent Prior to Executing Settlement Term Sheet Precludes Coverage
- January 2017 | Newsletter
- December 2016 | Newsletter
- November 2016 | Newsletter
- November 2016 | NewsletterAbsent Prejudice, Untimely Notice Does Not Preclude Coverage if Notice Provided During Renewal Policy Period
- September 2016 | Newsletter
- September 2016 | NewsletterRescission Warranted When Policyholder Failed to Disclose Past Department of Insurance Investigations in Application
- August 2016 | Newsletter
- July 2016 | Newsletter
- June 2016 | NewsletterReplacement Professional Liability Policy Sufficiently “Similar” to Original Policy to Prevent Application of Extended Reporting Period
- April 2016 | NewsletterSeventh Circuit Holds Insured’s Material Misrepresentations in Application Warrant Rescission of Policy
- March 2016 | NewsletterNo Coverage Under D&O Policy For Misrepresentations Regarding Mortgage-Backed Securities Because Not “Securities Of” the Insured