J.D., New York University School of Law; Dean’s Scholar
Henry R. Luce Foundation Scholar; Japan (2008-2009)
B.A., Swarthmore College; Mellon Mays Fellow
Staff Editor, Journal of Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law
Bar and Court Admissions
*Not a member of the DC Bar (Supervised by principals of the firm who are members of the District of Columbia Bar)
Washington State Bar
Marshall has broad experience in environmental litigation and regulatory compliance. He counsels clients with respect to consumer and commercial products, contaminated site cleanups, and industrial health and safety matters. As a litigator, Marshall handles matters including challenging agency actions, multi-party cost allocations, and chemical exposure lawsuits. With an undergraduate degree in Environmental Science, Marshall is well-positioned to help clients navigate the complex technical side of legal issues impacting their business.
Marshall previously served as an Assistant Attorney General for Washington State where he gained administrative and appellate litigation experience in energy and labor matters, with extensive experience in occupational safety and health. Additionally, he was a junior Indian law advisor to various state government programs.
- Advises on regulatory compliance for chemicals, consumer products, electronics, and waste, including state, federal, and international laws.
- Advises manufacturers and retailers on labeling and warning obligations under consumer and commercial chemical restriction laws, including California Proposition 65, REACH, and RoHS.
- Advises clients on and litigates matters rising under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) and the Endangered Species Act (ESA).
- Litigates matters under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and state cleanup laws for cost recovery, contribution, and natural resource damages.
- Advised electronics trade group on legal developments in electrical and electronic products regulation, including product take-back, batteries restrictions, and energy efficiency.
- Counseled major electronics manufacturer on chemical and material restrictions in children’s products for North American and Latin American jurisdictions.
- Advised consumer and commercial products manufacturers on compliance with and labeling for California Proposition 65.
- Performed environmental compliance reviews for petroleum facility siting.
- Counseled clients on compliance with Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards (CFATS); registered to handle Chemical-terrorism Vulnerability Information (CVI) through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Advised clients on making environmental marketing claims in compliance with the Federal Trade Commission's Green Guides and related state consumer protection laws.
- Private law practice (2016-2018)
Assistant Attorney General, Honors Program, Washington State Attorney General's Office (2015-2016)
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Vice-Chair at Large, International Environmental and Natural Resource Law Committee, American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
News & Insights
- July 2018 | ArticleABA SEER Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-to-Know Committee NewsletterMartha E. Marrapese, Marshall R. Morales
- July 26, 2018 | Online | Speaking EngagementNew Rules for Warnings under California Proposition 65: How to Stay Ahead of the PlaintiffsWiley Rein WebinarTracy Heinzman, Marshall R. Morales
- June 7, 2018 | ArticleCalifornia Announces Public Hearing on Proposal to Allow Pesticide Labels to Use “NOTICE” or “ATTENTION” Instead of “WARNING” for Prop 65
- April 5, 2018 | AlertUSDA Accepting Public Comments on “Clean Meat” Labeling PetitionMarshall R. Morales
- April 2, 2018 | AlertLatin American Environmental Regulatory TrackerMarshall R. Morales
- March 26, 2018 | AlertState of Washington Adopts Statewide Drug Take-Back LegislationMarshall R. Morales
- February 6, 2018 | Online Webinar | Speaking EngagementAnnual OSHA UpdateAssociation of Corporate CounselMarshall R. Morales, Speaker
- November 29, 2017 | AlertStates Continue to Enact Chemical Legislation in 2017Marshall R. Morales
- April 25, 2017 | Bend, OR | Speaking EngagementPresident Trump and the EnvironmentPacific Northwest Ski Area Association Annual ConferenceMarshall R. Morales, Speaker
- January 20, 2017 | AlertPresident Trump and the Environment: New Administration Faces Hurdles on Path Toward New PoliciesMarshall R. Morales
*Not admitted to the District of Columbia Bar. Supervised by principals of the firm who are members of the District of Columbia Bar.