J.D., with high honors, The George Washington University Law School; Order of the Coif
B.A., with distinction, University of Virginia
Associate, The George Washington Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Maureen counsels franchisors, licensors, and manufacturers regarding transactional, intellectual property, and regulatory compliance matters.
- Represents franchisors on international franchise deals, including structuring and negotiating master franchise, development, subfranchise, and area representative arrangements; creating and registering international disclosure documents; and ensuring franchisor compliance with applicable host country law.
- Assists franchisors in creating and updating Franchise Disclosure Documents (FDDs); registering, seeking an exemption for, and renewing FDDs/franchise offerings; and otherwise complying with federal and state franchise laws.
- Counsels franchisors regarding the development and restructuring of franchise programs; drafting franchise, license, and development agreements; franchise sales process; regulatory compliance; and sale of franchise systems.
- Advises franchisors regarding the spectrum of the franchise relationship, including enforcement of system standards, defaults, terminations, renewals, workouts, transfers, acquisition of franchised outlets, and sale of company-operated outlets.
- Assists franchisors in designing licensing programs that avoid franchise registration/disclosure and relationship laws.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- International Franchise Association (IFA)
- Listed as a "Recognized Practitioner" by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in Franchising (2016-2018)
- Named by Franchise Times as a "Legal Eagle" (2015-2018)
- Included in the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers in Franchise (2016-2018)
- Included in Who's Who Legal: Franchise (2017-2018)
News & Insights
- November 27, 2018 | Newsletter
- October 31, 2018 | Newsletter
- May 21, 2018 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Robert Smith, Christine Connelly, and Maureen O’Brien Named 2018 ‘Legal Eagles’ by Franchise Times
- May 26, 2017 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 27 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 11 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- April 14, 2017 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Robert Smith, Christine Connelly, and Maureen O’Brien Named 2017 ‘Legal Eagles’ by Franchise Times
- October 11, 2016 | Newsletter
- April 13, 2016 | Newsletter
- April 4, 2016 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Robert Smith, Christine Connelly, and Maureen O’Brien Named 2016 ‘Legal Eagles’ by Franchise Times
- March 8, 2016 | Newsletter
- November 11, 2015 | Press Release
- June 25, 2015 | Newsletter
- April 21, 2015 | Newsletter
- April 7, 2015 | Newsletter
- April 1, 2015 | Press Release
- March 10, 2015 | Newsletter
- March 3, 2015 | Newsletter
- February 9, 2015 | Newsletter
- January 6, 2015 | Newsletter
- October 14, 2014 | Newsletter
- September 16, 2014 | Newsletter
- July 9, 2014 | Newsletter
- June 10, 2014 | Newsletter
- February 25, 2014 | Newsletter
- September 13, 2012 | ArticleProduct Liability Law360Maureen A. O'Brien
- August 24, 2012 | Newsletter