J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School
B.A., summa cum laude, University of Massachusetts; Phi Beta Kappa
Associate, The George Washington Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Mike represents insurers in complex litigation involving general liability, professional liability, and property insurance coverage. He provides advice and counsel on a wide range of insurance issues, including environmental liability, bodily injury and property damage claims, director and officer liability, legal malpractice and other errors and omissions claims, bankruptcy, technology, emerging issues, and bad faith.
- Represents clients in a variety of complex insurance litigation issues before federal and state courts, including motions practice, discovery, briefing, argument, and trial, including extensive experience addressing complex discovery and trial readiness issues.
- Conducts research for and drafts pleadings in federal and state courts addressing a wide variety of procedural and substantive legal issues for clients involved in complex insurance coverage litigation.
- Represents insurers in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and mediation proceedings, and handles multi-party negotiations involving private claimants, multiple carriers, and insureds.
- Drafts amicus appellate briefs on behalf of insurance trade organizations on complex coverage issues.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with numerous securities matters and novel professional liability exposures.
- Counsels insurers on issues concerning state regulatory guidelines and current efforts to reform insurance regulation, including through federal legislation.
- Participated in litigation and trial before the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) on behalf of a satellite radio company in a dispute over the royalty rates to be paid by satellite radio services for the performance of sound recordings.
- Extensive pro bono litigation and trial experience, including Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) issues impacting students with mental illness at colleges and universities, child custody and adoption, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, and prisoners’ rights matters.
- Legal Intern, U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia (2004)
- Legal Intern, Onondaga County District Attorney's Office, Syracuse, NY (2003)
- Advisory Board Member, Children's Law Center
- Trustee, Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
- American Bar Association (ABA), Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Webcast Chair, Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- The LGBT Bar Association
- Recipient of Washington Lawyers' Committee Outstanding Achievement Award for pro bono work on prisoners' rights cases (2015)
News & Insights
- April 26, 2017 | Online Webinar | Speaking EngagementEverything You Wanted to Know About Commutations But Were Afraid to AskABA Insurance Coverage Litigation CommitteeMichael J. Gridley, Speaker
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- June 11, 2015 | Press Release
- December 4, 2014 | Press Release
- May 8, 2014 | ArticleIssues in Coverage for Preexisting Pollution Conditions under Pollution Liability Insurance PoliciesEnvironmental Claims JournalMichael J. Gridley
- November 27, 2013 | Press Release
- June 2012 | ArticleRevised ICC Rules: The Changing Landscape of International ArbitrationDRI's For the DefenseMichael J. Gridley
- June 2011 | ArticleDisinterested Arbitrators: The Implications of TrustmarkDRI's For the DefenseMichael J. Gridley
- May 26, 2011 | ArticleDRI TodayMichael J. Gridley