J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., cum laude, Davidson College
Editorial Board, Virginia Environmental Law Journal
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Nick represents clients on a wide range of litigation, transactional, and regulatory matters with a particular focus on government contractors, nonprofit organizations, and companies operating in the environmental, aviation, and consumer product sectors. He specializes in conducting internal investigations and counseling individual and corporate clients facing government inquiries, investigations, and/or civil enforcement actions.
- Advised defense contractor regarding alleged violations of the False Claims Act (FCA) and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) arising from work in Kuwait and Afghanistan.
- Represented facility operations and maintenance contractor in FCA litigation involving allegations of fraud stemming from work performed following Hurricane Katrina.
- Counseled executive of global logistics agency in criminal and civil investigations regarding alleged violations of Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations.
- Represented multiple consumer product retailers before the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regarding the shipment of hazardous materials.
- Advised international retailer of food and consumer products regarding regulatory, legal, and strategic issues arising from its operations in the U.S.
- Advised nonprofit entity regarding allegations of fraud involving its executive director.
- Advised nonprofit entities regarding potential responses to actions taken by the Smithsonian Institution.
- Advised multiple trade associations regarding litigation options involving foreign entities.
- Counseled domestic manufacturer regarding an investigation by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of alleged violations of the Clean Air Act (CAA).
- Represented major pesticide manufacturers with respect to regulatory issues and litigation involving the EPA and the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).
- Hazardous Materials Specialist, Special Agent, Federal Aviation Administration (2002-2004)
- Civil Aviation Security Specialist, Special Agent, Transportation Security Administration (2002)
- American Bar Association (ABA), White Collar Crime Committee, Business Law Section
- DC Regional Board Member, Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington (2017-Present)
- Virginia Bar Association (VBA)
- Received 2015 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
News & Insights
- August 20, 2018 | ArticleLaw360Madeline J. Cohen, P. Nicholas Peterson
- July 17, 2018 | ArticleBloomberg Law: Environment & Energy Report
- July 9, 2018 | ArticleLaw360Brandon J. Moss, P. Nicholas Peterson
- October 3, 2017 | Press Release
- March 8, 2017 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief on Behalf of Key Nonprofit and Public Interest Groups in Critical Supreme Court Case Involving Rights of Naturalized U.S. Citizens
- November 1, 2016 | Press Release
- July 11, 2016 | ArticleBloomberg BNA’s Daily Environment ReportP. Nicholas Peterson
- March 10, 2016 | Article
- March 8, 2016 | Press Release
- February 29, 2016 | Article
- December 2015 | Newsletter
- November 11, 2015 | Press Release
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- August 12, 2015 | AlertP. Nicholas Peterson
- February 2015 | Newsletter
- January 22, 2015 | Article
- November 4, 2014 | Newsletter
- July 2014 | Newsletter
- Spring 2014 | Newsletter“Willfully” Reinterpreted: The Effect of DOJ’s Latest Interpretation of False Statement Statutes on Contractors’ Mandatory Disclosure Obligations
- May 16, 2014 | Newsletter
- April 4, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's White Collar Crime Report
- March 31, 2014 | AlertKevin J. Maynard, P. Nicholas Peterson
- January 8, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Telecommunications Law Resource Center
- November 26, 2013 | AlertP. Nicholas Peterson
- November 7, 2012 | Newsletter
- 2011, Issue 3 | ArticleUpdate MagazineWith permission from FDLI.P. Nicholas Peterson