J.D., New York University School of Law
B.A., with honors, University of California at Berkeley
Law Clerk for the Honorable Suzanne B. Conlon, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2007-2008)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar (*Pending, supervised by principals of the firm who are members of the District of Columbia Bar)
New York Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of New York, Eastern District of Virginia, and Southern District of New York
Peter’s practice focuses on representing individuals and entities in criminal and civil government enforcement actions, congressional investigations, and State Attorneys General investigations. A former Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia’s U.S. Attorney’s Office, Assistant Attorney General in the New York Attorney General’s office, and Chief Counsel to U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein on the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary, Peter provides strategic advice to companies and individuals navigating multifront, parallel investigations.
Prior to joining Wiley Rein, Peter served as chief counsel to Senator Dianne Feinstein, advising her on law enforcement issues, including asset forfeiture, False Claims Act (FCA) enforcement, bank fraud, money laundering, cybercrime, white collar fraud, firearms, juvenile justice, domestic violence, child exploitation, sexual violence, and human trafficking. In addition, he has worked on bipartisan, bicameral legislation, and assisted on oversight of the U.S. Departments of Justice and Homeland Security, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Peter also has experience advising on cutting-edge law enforcement-related policy matters on Capitol Hill, including cryptocurrencies, blockchain and distributed ledger technology, cybersecurity, facial recognition, drone use, and electronic data privacy.
- Served as lead minority counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee on criminal justice issues, including sentencing, money laundering, cybercrime, white collar fraud, firearms, juvenile justice, domestic violence, child exploitation, sexual violence, and human trafficking issues.
- Investigated and prosecuted cases at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia, serving as lead counsel in procurement fraud, mortgage fraud, and health care fraud civil investigations and litigation, primarily under the FCA, the Procurement Integrity Act, conflict-of-interest (anti-corruption) statutes, and the Anti-Kickback Act:
- Lead counsel in investigating a global delivery services provider for FCA violations, involving a team of investigative agents and auditors that spanned eight different federal agencies;
- Lead counsel in investigating an IT cloud software service company in a parallel criminal/civil fraud investigation, involving a team of investigative agents and auditors from six different federal agencies;
- Lead counsel in investigating co-conspirators who defrauded U.S. Small Business Administration set-aside programs, resulting in a $4.8 million+ negotiated settlement;
- Lead counsel in investigating CIA cabling and wiring contractors for fraud and kickback-related allegations;
- Lead counsel in investigating a large financial institution for violations under the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA) and other banking laws;
- Trial counsel in criminal prosecutions prosecution of U.S. Navy officer and contractor for fraudulent sourcing of Navy contract.
- Litigated civil rights and constitutional, employment, and civil affirmative matters involving the state, state agencies, and state officers as Assistant Attorney General for the New York State Office of the Attorney General.
- Office of U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, Ranking Member on the Senate Judiciary Committee
- Chief Counsel (2017-2018)
- Counsel (2015-2017)
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia, Affirmative Civil Enforcement Unit (2010-2015)
- Assistant Attorney General, Office of the Attorney General of the State of New York (2008-2010)
- Litigation Associate, Private law practice (2005-2007)
- Council of Korean Americans
- Federal Bar Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association, District of Columbia and Virginia Chapters
News & Insights
- March 27, 2019 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT67th Antitrust Law Spring MeetingPeter S. Hyun, Speaker
- February 21, 2019 | Los Angeles, CA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTLos Angeles County Bar AssociationPeter S. Hyun, Moderator
- February 1, 2019 | ALERTDeputy Associate Attorney General Provides Government Perspective on Revised FCA Enforcement Policies and Suggests More to ComeMadeline J. Cohen, Peter S. Hyun
- January 30, 2019 | BLOG POSTWileyConnectPeter S. Hyun
- January 7, 2019 | PRESS RELEASE
- January 4, 2019 | ARTICLECorporate CounselPeter S. Hyun, Duane C. Pozza
- November 15, 2018 | ALERT, PODCASTPodcast: Wiley Rein Attorneys Discuss Congressional Investigations Landscape Following Midterm ElectionsPeter S. Hyun, Robert L. Walker
- November 2018 | NEWSLETTERPodcast: Wiley Rein Attorneys Discuss Congressional Investigations Landscape Following Midterm Elections
- November 10, 2018 | ARTICLEThe HillPeter S. Hyun
- October 31, 2018 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Amicus Brief Urges Supreme Court to Grant Certiorari in Hacking Case, Arguing Class Action Litigation Could Harm Nation’s IoT Cybersecurity Policy
- October 8, 2018 | PRESS RELEASEPeter S. Hyun, Former Chief Counsel for Sen. Feinstein, Joins Wiley Rein’s White Collar Defense Group
*Not admitted to the District of Columbia Bar. Supervised by principals of the firm who are members of the District of Columbia Bar.