Ph.D., Georgetown University
M.S., Emory University
B.S., Emory University
Dr. Sayre serves as a consultant to Wiley Rein LLP. He has more than 28 years of experience in the environmental field, specializing in assessing risks of commercial nanomaterials and microbial biotechnology products under The Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). He has participated as a lead in national and international regulatory test guideline work for nanomaterials.
Prior to joining Wiley Rein, Dr. Sayre worked principally as a Senior Scientist and Associate Division Director for the for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)’s Risk Assessment Division. In this capacity, he was involved in the health and ecological assessments of over 160 nanomaterial submissions that have been submitted to EPA for commercialization under TSCA. Dr. Sayre also worked on identifying hazards associated with many biotechnology submissions under Section 5 of TSCA, and was a lead author of the EPA “Points to Consider” guidance which is followed by biotechnology submitters under TSCA. Other positions held at EPA included those in OSWER, the SAB, and ORD. Prior to coming to EPA, Dr. Sayre completed biotechnology and chemical ecotoxicity, exposure, and risk assessments under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) at FDA.
- As a senior scientist at EPA, Dr. Sayre:
- Was involved in the health and ecological assessments of over 160 nanomaterial submissions admitted to EPA for commercialization under TSCA.
- Identified hazards associated with many biotechnology submissions under Section 5 of TSCA.
- Was lead author of the EPA guidance to be followed by biotechnology submitters under TSCA.
- Nanomaterial Consultant, Organizations for Economic Cooperation and Development, Paris
- ProSafe Consultant, European Union FP7 Research Program, Amsterdam
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Senior Scientist, Risk Assessment Division (2013-2014)
- Associate Division Director, Risk Assessment Division (2000-2013)
- Office of Research and Development, Assistant Administrator’s Immediate Office (2012-2013)
- Science Advisory Board (2007-2009)
- Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (2005-2007)
- Society of Toxicology (SOT)
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)
News & Insights
- April 2018 | ARTICLEMartha E. Marrapese, Phil Sayre, Ph.D.
- 2017 | ARTICLEMethods and Data for Regulatory Risk Assessment of Nanomaterials: Questions for an Expert ConsultationNanoImpactPhil Sayre, Ph.D.
- 2016 | ARTICLEReview of Achievements of the OECD Working Party on Manufactured Nanomaterials' Testing and Assessment ProgrammeRegulatory Toxicology and PharmacologyPhil Sayre, Ph.D.
- September 14, 2015 | ARTICLEInhalation Exposure to Carbon Nanotubes (CNT) and Carbon Nanofibers (CNFs): Methodology and DosimetryJournal of Toxicology and Environmental HealthPhil Sayre, Ph.D.