J.D., magna cum laude, The George Washington University Law School
B.A., Rutgers College, Rutgers University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Rachel counsels clients on health care regulatory, transactional and litigation matters with an emphasis on advising health plans regarding compliance with federal law including the Affordable Care Act and all government health care programs (e.g., Medicare, TRICARE, the Federal Employees Health Benefits and Medicaid). Ms. Alexander is a seasoned litigator and represents clients in state and federal court, arbitration and mediation in cases involving commercial disputes, government contract disputes, the False Claims Act and other civil enforcement actions. Prior to entering the legal profession, Rachel spent over a decade in health care administration, primarily in contract negotiations and administration, working for industry leading providers and health plans.
Rachel’s expertise with both health plan operations and health care law has aided clients in navigating issues of federal and state regulatory compliance; contract negotiation, administration and procurement matters; internal and governmental investigations; and litigation attendant to these areas of law.
One key facet of Rachel’s practice is representing health plans, particularly those offering a government-sponsored program, in negotiation, drafting and administration of large contracts, including pharmacy benefit management (PBM), telehealth, and ancillary benefit (e.g., dental, vision, behavioral health) contracts. In this capacity, Rachel has represented clients in negotiations and contract disputes with numerous industry-leading national vendors, including all of the major PBMs.
Rachel is a certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, and uses the LLSI process and project management approach to deliver increased value to clients. She also serves as chair of Wiley Rein’s Recruiting Committee and co-chair of the Women's Forum Affinity Group.
- Provides legal counseling on all aspects of health care and government contracting, including drafting and negotiating contracts, subcontracts, and affiliate agreements.
- Provides legal guidance on FEHB, Medicare Part D/Medicare Advantage, Medical Assistance, and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) regulatory issues.
- Provides legal expertise in counseling clients regarding Pharmacy Benefit Manager (PBM) contracting, administration and dispute resolution.
- Advises and defends health care government contractors with regard to government audits, investigations, and actions including False Claims Act (FCA), Anti-Kickback, and Stark issues.
- Directs and manages all phases of litigation and discovery with considerable experience resolving complex e-discovery issues.
- Advises on emerging health care technology regulations and legal trends including telehealth services, automated health care communications, and cybersecurity.
- Advises on and evaluates health care corporate compliance programs, including assessments of whether compliance programs meet evolving legal standards.
- Provides government contractors, particularly health care contractors, with legal analyses and preparation of requests for equitable adjustment (REAs), claims, and representation in Contract Dispute Act (CDA) litigation.
- Director, Managed Care and Insurance Contracting, HCR Manor Care (2001-2005)
- Director, Integrated Delivery Systems, (2000-2001), Contract Manager, (1997-2000), Kaiser Permanente of the Mid-Atlantic States
- Board of Trustees, Washington Ethical Society (2015-Present)
- Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia (WBA)
- Co-Chair, Health Law Forum (2013-2014)
- Co-Chair, Insurance Law Forum (2012-2013)
- Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF)
- Co-Chair, WILEF DC (2015-Present)
- Global Advisory Board (2015-Present)
News & Insights
- July 31, 2018 | Press Release
- March 28, 2018 | Press ReleaseHHS Office for Civil Rights Director Roger Severino Leads Discussion on Health Care Regulation and Cybersecurity at Wiley Rein LLP
- May 16, 2016 | Orlando, FL | Speaking EngagementPrescription Drug Procurements and ContractingBlue Cross Blue Shield Association 2016 National Summit
- November 2015 | NewsletterReaching Out Without Getting Burned: Understanding the Impact of the TCPA on Health Plan Member Communications
- November 12, 2015 | AlertReaching Out Without Getting Burned: Understanding the Impact of the TCPA on Health Plan Member Communications
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- October 7, 2015 | Press ReleaseYWCA Recognizes Wiley Rein’s Dorthula Powell-Woodson with a Women of Achievement Award for Leadership, Mentoring, and Community Service
- September 14, 2015 | Press ReleaseRachel Alexander and Jerita Salley Named to Leadership Role and Board Position at the Women in Law Empowerment Forum
- April 21, 2015 | Phoenix, AZ | Speaking EngagementBusiness Partner and Practitioner: The Lawyer's Role in Contracting for Government Health Care Programs2015 Blue National SummitRachel A. Alexander, Speaker, Dorthula H. Powell-Woodson, Speaker
- April 21, 2015 | Phoenix, AZ | Speaking Engagement2015 Blue National SummitRachel A. Alexander, Speaker, Dorthula H. Powell-Woodson, Speaker
- April 8, 2015 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementWomen in Law Empowerment ForumRachel A. Alexander, Speaker
- December 4, 2014 | Press Release
- November 14, 2014 | Press Release
- May 20, 2014 | Orlando, FL | Speaking EngagementCompetitive Contracting: Reducing Contract Negotiations to Days and Obtaining the Contract You Want2014 Blue National Summit
- May 19, 2014 | Orlando, FL | Speaking EngagementSuccessfully Navigating Government Contracts2014 Blue National Summit
- January 2, 2014 | Press Release
- November 27, 2013 | Press Release
- June 26, 2013 | Media MentionLaw360
- Fall 2012 | NewsletterThe Medicare Audit Improvement Act Proposes Significant Changes and Penalties for Medicare Contractors
- July 27, 2012 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Class Action Lawsuit Against Virginia Women's Prison Violating Inmates' Constitutional Rights