B.S. Electrical Engineering, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Areas of Specialty
Rick serves as a consultant to Wiley Rein LLP. He has more than 40 years of government and industry experience in radio communication, spectrum management, new technologies, and telecommunications regulations. Rick assists clients with understanding current and proposed regulations, and helps translate complex technical concepts and arguments into understandable and compelling advocacy.
- Represented Sprint Corporation on numerous spectrum, licensing, and rulemaking proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Capitol Hill, and other government agencies.
- Represented the FCC in bi-lateral negotiations involving the sharing of spectrum along the U.S. borders.
- Represented the FCC and the United States at various international conferences and meetings, and led U.S. delegation to International Telecommunication Union (ITU) study group on third-generation wireless systems.
- Director, Spectrum Resources, Sprint Corporation, Government Affairs (2007-2017)
- Federal Communications Commission (1977-2007)
- Chief Engineer, International Bureau (2002-2007)
- Chief, International Bureau, Policy and Negotiations Division (1997-2002)
- Chief, Office of Engineering & Technology, Standards Development Branch (1989-1997)
- Chief, Field Operations Bureau (now known as Enforcement Bureau), Inspections and Investigations Branch (1985-1989)
- Other engineering positions dealing with field enforcement and radio broadcasting (1977-1985)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
News & Insights
- January 28, 2019 | ALERTAri Meltzer, Richard B. Engelman
- December 21, 2018 | ALERT
- December 14, 2018 | ALERT
- October 26, 2018 | ALERTFCC Proposes to Make 6 GHz Band Spectrum Available for Unlicensed Use, Proposes to Prohibit Unmanned Aircraft and Moving Vehicle Use
- October 25, 2018 | ALERT
- July 13, 2018 | BLOG POSTWileyConnectRichard B. Engelman
- June 11, 2018 | ALERTSummary of Third R&O, MOO, and Third FNPRM: Use of Spectrum Bands Above 24 GHz For Mobile Radio Services (GN Docket No. 14-177)
- June 6, 2018 | Detroit, MI | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe Intelligent Transportation Society of America 2018 Annual MeetingRichard B. Engelman, Speaker
- November 27, 2017 | ALERTSummary of Second R&O, Second FNPRM, Order on Recon, and MOO: Use of Spectrum Bands Above 24 GHz For Mobile Radio Services (GN Docket No. 14-177)
- August 31, 2017 | ALERT