J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
B.A., magna cum laude, Baylor University; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
New York Bar
Robert serves as consulting counsel to Wiley Rein LLP. He is a corporate and transactional attorney with expertise representing both for-profit and nonprofit entities on a full range of compliance, governance, and transactional matters all over the world. Robert has particular experience in transactions involving broadcast, satellite, and communications assets as well as private equity and finance transactions, general mergers and acquisitions, venture capital transactions, and international holding structures in a variety of industries. His nonprofit expertise includes compliance with non-profit tax laws, rules governing political activities, international grants, and corporate governance practices.
- Represented purchasers and sellers of satellites, satellite capacity, and satellite services in multiple countries and jurisdictions throughout the world, including complex acquisition and private equity and debt financing transactions.
- Represented U.S. nonprofit organizations operating domestically and internationally, with particular experience in entity formation, political and advocacy restrictions, federal tax reporting, corporate compliance programs, and international and domestic grant and program structures.
- Represented a sports and media holding company in its initial formation, capitalization and multiple subsequent transactions.
- Represented developer of solid waste disposal systems in developing countries, including financing, local project structures, government and construction contracts, and local law compliance.
- Represented a company in a $3.2 billion Latin American exchange acquisition in the media industry, involving securities offerings in both the Argentine and the U.S. securities markets.
- Represented a company in a $1 billion divestiture of television broadcast stations and other clients in the acquisitions and divestitures of radio, television, and telecommunications broadcast assets and licenses.
- Represented clients in acquisitions of an insurance brokerage firm, medical device manufacturers and licenses, health insurance and health care providers, a multi-modal trans-loading company, and U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) contractors.
- Represented clients negotiating affiliation agreements, content distribution agreements, retransmission consents, and joint ventures between video content providers and cable companies.
- Represented private equity firms and targets in financings for technology companies both in the U.S. and in Latin America, including an Internet-based video security company, consulting companies, web and data hosting companies, software companies, and online sales companies.
- Drafted private placement memorandum and investor documentation for creation of a $1 billion equity fund focused on the communications industry, and set up foreign investments through offshore intermediaries.
- Counsels clients in general corporate matters including corporate governance, stock option plans, and ongoing U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) reporting and filings.
- Adjunct Professor of Business Law, Angelo State University (2002-2004)
- District Representative for U.S. Representative Charles W. Stenholm (2002-2003)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Society of Satellite Professionals International (SSPI)
- The Federalist Society
- Washington Space Business Roundtable (WSBR)
- Golden Gavel Award for Distinguished Service to ALS Association of America
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Telecom and Broadcast Regulatory Law (2015) and Telecom and Broadcast Transactional Law (2015)
News & Insights
- November 7, 2017 | Press Release
- September 2017 | Newsletter
- August 8, 2017 | Media MentionSRQ Magazine
- May 2017 | Newsletter
- March 16, 2017 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementGeorgetown Law's 21st Annual Corporate Counsel Institute: An Insider's Guide to WashingtonRobert D. Benton, Moderator
- July 2016 | Newsletter
- April 6, 2016 | ArticleLaw360
- January 2016 | Newsletter
- June 3, 2015 | Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 32 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Seven Practices Nationally; Four Partners Are ‘Leading Lawyers’
- January 20, 2015 | Press Release
- July 2014 | Newsletter
- May 2014 | Newsletter
- March 2014 | NewsletterDid You Know? Some States Require 501(c)(4) Organizations to File Charitable Solicitation Registrations
- January 29, 2014 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Helps CTIA Secure Agreement with Los Angeles Television Stations for First U.S. Spectrum Channel Sharing Pilot Project
- January 2014 | Newsletter
- January 2, 2014 | Press Release
- November 12, 2013 | Arlington, VA | Speaking EngagementFederal Publications Seminars
- July 2013 | Newsletter
- March 2012 | Newsletter
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- September 27, 2006 | Press Release
- August 24, 2005 | Press ReleaseWRF Business & Finance, Media and Antitrust Groups Assist Emmis in Sale of TV Stations for $681 Million