J.D., cum laude, American University Washington College of Law
B.A., The University of Georgia; Presidential Scholar
Associate Articles Editor, American University Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of International Trade
Robert’s practice involves all aspects of international trade and trade remedy proceedings. He has particular expertise in both U.S. antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings and export control matters before the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC), the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC), the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR), the U.S. Court of International Trade, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Robert has also actively assisted in World Trade Organization (WTO) matters, providing advice regarding WTO obligations and dispute settlement proceedings for various clients and governments. Clients represented in these proceedings come from industries such as aluminum extrusions, petrochemicals, steel, semiconductors, renewable energy, and consumer goods, involving products from diverse economies such as China, Brazil, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, and Turkey.
- Represented a coalition of U.S. aluminum extruders before the DOC and the USITC in a trade remedies investigation covering aluminum products in all segments of the U.S. economy from automobiles and appliances to windows and doors.
- Advised clients regarding the Bureau of Industry and Security’s regulations regarding the export of lease condensate and crude oil.
- Represented an internet security start-up before the Bureau of Industry and Security in obtaining an export classification for its exports of encrypted products.
- Represented a group of steel producers before both the Court of International Trade and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in one of the seminal appeals of a USITC determination in recent memory.
- Represents numerous U.S. manufacturers in matters involving Section 301 and Section 232 investigations.
- Advised companies in diverse industries, including aluminum extrusions, steel, shrimp, outboard engines, and semiconductors in complex antidumping and countervailing duty investigations before the DOC and the USITC.
- Represented an outboard engine manufacturer in one of the largest consumer products antidumping investigations before the USITC.
Advises and represents complainants and respondents in dispute settlement proceedings before the WTO.
- Advised several clients and foreign governments before both the Panel and the Appellate Body WTO appeal.
- Participated in government contracts litigation involving an agreement to supply the U.S. forces in Kuwait and Iraq.
- Examined customs issues and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) regulations regarding importation and distribution of ethanol.
- Lobbied before the House Ways and Means Committee and the Senate Finance Committee on various trade-related matters.
- Assisted clients in navigating the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) new continuous bond requirements for agricultural products.
- Assistant Adjunct Professor, International Trade Law and Regulation, George Mason University School of Law (2007-Present)
- Law Clerk, U.S. International Trade Commission, Office of the General Counsel (Summer 2000)
- Law Clerk, Bureau of Export Administration, Office of the General Counsel (Fall 1999) (now Bureau of Industry and Security)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law
- Senior Advisor, International Trade Committee (2016-Present)
- Co-Chair, International Trade Committee (2012-2014)
- 2014 Outstanding Committee Award
- Court of International Trade Judicial Conference Committee (2016-Present)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for International by Super Lawyers magazine (2014-2018)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "next generation lawyer" (2017-2018) and a "recommended lawyer" in International Trade (2013-2018)
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Rising Star" in International Trade (2013)
News & Insights
- April 2, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONInside U.S. Trade
- February 27, 2019 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe Customs and International Trade Bar Association Winter LuncheonCustoms and International Trade Bar AssociationRobert E. DeFrancesco, III, Panelist
- June 20, 2018 | ARTICLELaw360Robert E. DeFrancesco, III, Alan H. Price
- June 1, 2018 | PRESS RELEASE
- May 15, 2018 | PRESS RELEASEU.S. Customs and Border Protection Preliminarily Finds Importers Used Fraudulent Country of Origin to Evade AD/CVD Duties on Aluminum Extrusions from China
- May 8, 2018 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Issues White Paper in Response to the EU Legal Justification for Steel and Aluminum Retaliation
- January 26, 2018 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe 33rd Annual Federal Circuit SymposiumRobert E. DeFrancesco, III, Speaker
- October 2, 2017 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein’s Robert DeFrancesco Speaks on WTO Panel on Role of Subsidies Contributing to Overcapacity in Steel and Aluminum Markets
- May 31, 2017 | PRESS RELEASE
- May 18, 2017 | ALERT
- April 20, 2017 | ALERTPresident Trump Expected to Sign Executive Order to Determine Whether Steel Imports Should be Restricted on National Security Grounds
- April 12, 2017 | ALERT
- April 3, 2017 | ALERT
- March 25, 2017 | Bonita Springs, FL | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTAEC's 2017 Annual Meeting & Leadership ConferenceRobert E. DeFrancesco, III, Speaker
- March 8, 2017 | Houston, TX | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTAmerican Metal Market's 10th Steel Tube & Pipe ConferenceRobert E. DeFrancesco, III, Speaker
- January 19, 2017 | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTWiley Rein Webinar
- January 12, 2017 | PRESS RELEASEUSTR Files Landmark WTO Complaint, on Behalf of Wiley Rein Client, on China’s Subsidies to Aluminum Producers
- September 27, 2016 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTAluminum Extruders Council's 2016 Management ConferenceRobert E. DeFrancesco, III, Speaker
- June 15, 2016 | PRESS RELEASE
- March 19, 2016 | San Antonio, TX | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTAluminum Extrusion Fair Trade UpdateAluminum Extruders Council's 2016 Annual Meeting & Leadership ConferenceRobert E. DeFrancesco, III, Speaker
- October 28, 2015 | PRESS RELEASEU.S. Producer of Iron Mechanical Transfer Drive Components Files For Trade Relief Against Imports from Canada and China
- September 23, 2015 | Vancouver, Canada | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTMetal Bulletin’s 30th International Aluminium ConferenceRobert E. DeFrancesco, III, Speaker
- June 23, 2015 | ARTICLELaw360
- June 3, 2015 | PRESS RELEASELegal 500 US Recognizes 32 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Seven Practices Nationally; Four Partners Are ‘Leading Lawyers’
- May 22, 2015 | ALERT
- April 23, 2015 | PRESS RELEASE
- March/April 2015 | ARTICLEAluminium International Today
- March 16, 2015 | ALERT
- March 7, 2015 | Palm Desert, CA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTState Intervention in Aluminum TradeAluminum Extruders Council Annual Meeting & Leadership ConferenceRobert E. DeFrancesco, III, Speaker
- January 29, 2015 | PRESS RELEASE
- January 5, 2015 | ALERTRobert E. DeFrancesco, III
- June 26, 2014 | PRESS RELEASE
- June 9, 2014 | MEDIA MENTIONArgus Media
- May 27, 2014 | MEDIA MENTIONArgus Media
- May 16, 2014 | Philadelphia, PA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe Rise of State-Owned Entities and their Impact on the Aluminum IndustryAmerican Metal Market's 13th Aluminum SummitRobert E. DeFrancesco, III, Speaker
- April 25, 2014 | PRESS RELEASE“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- March 21, 2014 | MEDIA MENTIONAmerican Metal Market
- March 19, 2014 | Miami Coral Gables, FL | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe Rise of State-Owned Entities and Their Effects on Metal Trade: a Case Study, the U.S. Countervailing Duty Case against Aluminum Extrusions from ChinaNorth American Aluminum Trends Conference 2014Robert E. DeFrancesco, III, Speaker
- June 7, 2013 | PRESS RELEASE
- June 4, 2013 | PRESS RELEASELegal 500 US Recognizes 25 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Five Practices Nationally; Wiley and Senkowski Are "Leading Lawyers"
- April 9, 2013 | PRESS RELEASE
- March 11, 2013 | PRESS RELEASE
- January 18, 2013 | PRESS RELEASEInternational Trade Commission Makes Affirmative Final Determination to Impose Dumping and Subsidy Duties on Utility Scale Wind Tower Imports from China and Vietnam
- January 2, 2013 | PRESS RELEASE
- May 30, 2012 | PRESS RELEASEU.S. Department of Commerce Issues Preliminary Determination that China Provided Substantial Subsidies to its Wind Tower Industry
- December 28, 2011 | PRESS RELEASE
- August 25, 2011 | MEDIA MENTIONAgriTalk