J.D., Harvard Law School
B.A., Brown University
Journal on Legislation
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Sara offers counsel to companies engaged in telecommunications, mass media, unmanned aircraft systems, and emerging technology on a variety of regulatory, litigation, transactional, and compliance matters.
- Assists clients in developing strategy for and preparing comments, petitions, and other pleadings in complex proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- Counsels telecommunications and mass media clients on compliance with federal regulatory obligations.
- Provides counseling on compliance with evolving regulation of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).
- Represents telecommunications providers and trade associations in litigation matters before state and federal courts involving wireless telecommunications infrastructure siting.
- Assists clients in obtaining authorization from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to operate UAS; tracks and analyzes state and local regulations of UAS, with a focus on potential conflicts between different regulatory authorities.
- Counsels companies on compliance with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and the FCC’s implementing regulations, the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) Telemarketing Sales Rule, and the CAN‑SPAM Act.
- Advises clients on compliance with federal obligations to make telecommunications services and devices accessible to persons with disabilities.
- Assists satellite clients seeking authorization from the FCC to launch and operate satellites or serve the U.S. market.
- Represents clients in FCC enforcement proceedings and assists clients with meeting requirements associated with enforcement decisions.
- Advises information and communications technology clients on Internet policy issues in the U.S. and abroad.
- Maintains an active pro bono practice.
- Legal Intern, Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (2013)
- Law Clerk, Center for Law and Education (2012)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
News & Insights
- January 15, 2019 | Alert
- January 8, 2019 | ArticleLaw360
- December 20, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnect
- November 1, 2018 | PodcastWiley Connected
- October 5, 2018 | PodcastWileyConnectedSara M. Baxenberg
- October 4, 2018 | Media MentionLaw360
- September 26, 2018 | ArticleCausby and Effect: How the Uniform Law Commission's Misplaced Reliance on a 1946 Supreme Court Case Threatens the Drone IndustryAUVSI's Unmanned Systems; Thomson Reuters / Westlaw Journal Aviation
- September 12, 2018 | Press Release
- August 2, 2018 | Media MentionSara Baxenberg, Josh Turner Featured in Coverage of First ‘Wiley Connected’ IoT Podcast, Discussing UAS LawUAS Magazine
- July 26, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnectSara M. Baxenberg
- July 24, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnect
- July 24, 2018 | Podcast
- July 16, 2018 | PodcastWiley ConnectedSara M. Baxenberg, Contributor, Joshua S. Turner, Contributor
- July 16, 2018 | Podcast
- June 6, 2018 | Blog PostCQ UAS: FCC Proposes $2.8 Million Fine, Sends Warning to Drone Equipment Manufacturers and OperatorsWileyConnect
- June 5, 2018 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementPreemption & The Intersection of Federal and State Drone RegulationABA Forum on Air & Space LawSara M. Baxenberg, Moderator, Joshua S. Turner, Panelist
- May 30, 2018 | ArticleDenver Bar MagazineSara M. Baxenberg
- May 9, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnect
- April 19, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnect
- April 18, 2018 | ArticleLaw360Joshua S. Turner, Sara M. Baxenberg
- April 13, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnect
- March 20, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnect
- March 12, 2018 | Blog Post“Open for Business” – FAA Encourages Industry-Driven Innovation in Lieu of Rulemakings at Annual UAS SymposiumWileyConnect
- March 6, 2018 | Media MentionJosh Turner, Sara Baxenberg Comment on Anticipated FAA Rule Requiring Drone Identification TechnologyThe National Law Journal
- February 16, 2018 | ArticleLaw360
- February 14, 2018 | Blog Post
- February 5, 2018 | Blog PostDrone Operator Near McCarran Airport Avoids Colliding with Plane, But Is Less Likely to Avoid EnforcementWileyConnect
- January 22, 2018 | Blog PostWileyConnect
- January 16, 2018 | Press ReleaseBloomberg Law Profiles Wiley Rein’s Pro Bono Practice and Its Work on Behalf of Immigrants Detained in Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Center
- December 21, 2017 | Alert
- December 18, 2017 | Alert
- November 9, 2017 | Alert
- November 9, 2017 | ArticleWileyConnect
- November 3, 2017 | ArticleWileyConnect
- October 26, 2017 | Alert
- October 26, 2017 | ArticleWileyConnectSara M. Baxenberg, Katy M. Ross
- October 19, 2017 | ArticleWileyConnectSara M. Baxenberg
- August 9, 2017 | Press Release
- March 23, 2017 | Article
- February 14, 2017 | ArticleLaw360
- December 22, 2016 | ArticleLaw360
- October 26, 2016 | ArticleWileyConnectSara M. Baxenberg, Author
- October 21, 2016 | Alert
- October 12, 2016 | ArticleWileyConnectSara M. Baxenberg, Author
- September 2, 2016 | Alert
- August 5, 2016 | Alert
- August 1, 2016 | Alert
- July 13, 2016 | AlertBennett L. Ross, Sara M. Baxenberg
- June 22, 2016 | Alert
- June 3, 2016 | AlertShawn H. Chang, Sara M. Baxenberg
- May 26, 2016 | AlertHUD Proposes to Require Broadband Infrastructure Installation in Projects to Construct or Substantially Rehabilitate Multifamily Rental Housing
- May 19, 2016 | AlertNTIA Concludes UAS Multistakeholder Process; Releases Consensus Document on Voluntary Best PracticesAnna M. Gomez, Sara M. Baxenberg
- May 4, 2016 | Alert
- April 29, 2016 | ArticleCircleIDAmbassador David A. Gross, Sara M. Baxenberg
- March 30, 2016 | Alert
- March 17, 2016 | ArticleUAS Vision
- March 14, 2016 | Alert
- December 18, 2015 | Alert
- December 14, 2015 | Alert
- November 20, 2015 | AlertFAA Announces Next Steps for UAS Registration: Receipt of Task Force Recommendations, Issuance of Interim Final Rule, and Opportunity for Public Comment
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- October 21, 2015 | Alert
- October 6, 2015 | Alert
- July 14, 2015 | Alert
- April 14, 2015 | Alert
- March 27, 2015 | Article
- February 2015 | Newsletter
- February 18, 2015 | AlertSummary of the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- January 7, 2015 | Alert