J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School
M.Sc., The London School of Economics and Political Science, International Relations, Fulbright Scholar
B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Highest Distinction in Political Science and Economics; Honors in Political Science, Morehead Scholar
Editor, Harvard Law Review
Law Clerk for the Honorable Raymond C. Fisher, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2002-2003)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Seventh, Ninth, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
A seasoned litigator, Scott focuses on complex commercial disputes, including representation of leading broadcast and entertainment companies in high-profile copyright infringement litigation. He also advises domestic and global corporations on a range of other matters involving Internet services and technologies, intellectual property, and financial disputes. With extensive experience in all aspects of civil litigation, as well as a background in management consulting, Scott is adept not only at crafting legal strategy, but also in managing risk and resolving cases in a timely, efficient, and cost-effective manner. In addition to his commercial practice, Scott is active in pro bono representations including advocacy on behalf of LGBT individuals and on First Amendment issues.
- Represented Viacom in its landmark copyright infringement case against Google and YouTube.
- Represented numerous broadcasters in copyright infringement litigation against Internet television service Aereo.
- Represented the major recording companies in federal copyright infringement litigation against an online music provider.
- Monitored Credit Suisse AG following the bank’s $715 million settlement with the New York Department of Financial Services.
- Represented Brookfield Asset Management in litigation against AIG regarding an interest rate swap agreement.
- Partner (2010-2019), Associate (2003-2009), Private law practice (2010-2019)
- Engagement Manager (1998-1999), Associate (1996-1998), McKinsey & Company
- Acting France Desk Officer (1994), Junior France Desk Officer (1993-1994), International Trade Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Named one of DC’s “Rising Stars” (2013) by Super Lawyers magazine
- Named one of “40 Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40” By the National LGBT Bar Association (2010)
News & Insights
- July 3, 2019 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Files Amicus Briefs on Behalf of LGBTQ Employees Suffering from Employment Discrimination
- June 26, 2019 | PRESS RELEASEAntonio Reynolds, Financial Services Attorney and Former Federal Prosecutor, Joins Wiley Rein’s TMT Practice
- June 24, 2019 | ALERT
- June 24, 2019 | PRESS RELEASE
- May 21, 2019 | ALERT
- March 27, 2019 | ALERTEuropean Parliament Approves New Copyright Directive That Fundamentally Restructures Online Copyright RulesScott B. Wilkens
- March 26, 2019 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Files Supreme Court Amicus Brief for Rutherford Institute in First Amendment Trademark Case
- March 5, 2019 | ALERTCosts Awardable in Copyright Suits Do Not Include Expert Witness, E-Discovery, or Jury Consulting ExpensesScott B. Wilkens
- March 4, 2019 | ALERTScott B. Wilkens
- February 15, 2019 | ALERTScott B. Wilkens
- February 5, 2019 | PRESS RELEASE