J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School
B.A., summa cum laude, University of Massachusetts Boston
Associate Editor and Founding Member, Journal of Law & Public Affairs
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Shawn provides legal counsel and strategic advice to clients on domestic and international Internet, privacy, satellite, and spectrum policy issues. He also counsels technology clients on cybersecurity policy and regulatory compliance matters.
- Counsels operators of commercial websites and mobile app developers on a range of privacy issues, including general Federal Trade Commission (FTC) privacy obligations; geolocation and health information; the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA); state privacy law; and Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI).
- Provides legal counsel to domestic and international organizations on data protection laws and cross-border data flows.
- Prepares comments in proceedings before the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and other federal agencies on U.S. data security and privacy laws and regulations.
- Advocates on behalf of satellite operators in high-stakes proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- Advises clients on the FCC, FTC, International Telecommunication Union (ITU), and other domestic and foreign regulatory agencies.
- Provides counseling on compliance with unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) regulation.
- Litigates telecommunication matters in state and federal courts.
- Maintains an active pro bono practice before federal courts on the Constitutional rights of individuals and associations.
- Researcher, International Human Rights Advocate (2016-2017)
- Researcher, Democracy Law Project (2015-2016)
- Regulatory Intern-Privacy, AT&T Inc. (2015)
- Bankruptcy Intern, Military Assistance Project (2014-2015)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
News & Insights
- April 2018 | Newsletter
- March 23, 2018 | Alert
- March 6, 2018 | ArticleWileyConnectShawn M. Donovan
- March 2018 | Newsletter
- February 28, 2018 | ArticleWileyConnectShawn M. Donovan
- February 14, 2018 | ArticleWileyConnectMegan L. Brown, Shawn M. Donovan
- February 9, 2018 | ArticleWileyConnectShawn M. Donovan, Matthew J. Gardner
- February 6, 2018 | ArticleWileyConnect
- January 10, 2018 | ArticleWileyConnectShawn M. Donovan
- January 5, 2018 | Alert
- December 6, 2017 | Alert
- December 2017 | Newsletter
- November 2017 | NewsletterMicrosoft and Dahda: The Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Two New Cases Balancing Security and Data Privacy
- November 2017 | NewsletterCareFirst Asks the Supreme Court to Reaffirm Article III Standing Requirements in Cases of Data Breach
- October 30, 2017 | ArticleWileyConnectMegan L. Brown, Shawn M. Donovan