J.D., Vanderbilt Law School; Order of the Coif
A.B., cum laude, Princeton University
Managing Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review
Law Clerk for the Honorable Karen LeCraft Henderson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2006-2007)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Seventh, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. Court of International Trade
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Stephen has a wide range of experience litigating complex disputes before federal and state courts and administrative agencies and in arbitration. He has represented clients in both individual and class action cases involving commercial and government contract disputes, the False Claims Act (FCA), the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA), procurement fraud, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), business torts, and the Administrative Procedure Act (APA). He also has experience conducting internal investigations for corporate clients in response to government allegations of misconduct, including investigations of pharmaceutical clients involving Medicare and Medicaid government price reporting for pharmaceutical products. Stephen previously served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the civil section in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Successfully defended multiple clients in FCA procurement fraud cases brought by relators and the U.S. Department of Justice seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.
- Successfully defended multiple clients in high-profile civil RICO cases worth millions of dollars in damages.
- Successfully defended multiple political organizations in a variety of matters, including cases involving alleged FECA violations.
- Successfully defended a government contractor in a multimillion-dollar class action arbitration involving wage claims by fire and rescue employees used during the Iraq War.
- Conducted internal investigation for large international generic pharmaceutical company relating to its Medicaid and Medicare government price reporting for pharmaceutical products.
- Successfully defended a government contractor in a class action TCPA suit.
- Successfully defended a large international telecommunications company in a complex contract action involving internet peering agreements.
- Successfully represented the owners of small government contractors in buyout disputes and mediation.
- Represent trade associations in commercial disputes and complex litigations.
- Represent public interest groups and other clients seeking to vindicate important constitutional interests, including First and Second Amendment interests, before federal appellate courts and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia (2010-2013)
- Represented the United States and federal agencies in a variety of civil matters, including FCA, APA, Federal Tort Claims Act, Title VII, and Bivens matters
- Successfully defended against class action certification in a Title VII suit against the U.S. Marshals Service
- Successfully defended the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in multiple APA suits
- Obtained a favorable settlement following an investigation of an FCA procurement fraud suit involving a federal intelligence agency
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Procurement Fraud Committee
News & Insights
- September 26, 2019 | PRESS RELEASE
- October 19, 2018 | ARTICLEWashington Legal Foundation
- August 31, 2018 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief for National Business Groups Supporting First Amendment Rights of Commercial Speakers
- August 17, 2018 | PRESS RELEASE
- August 16, 2018 | ARTICLELaw360
- April 27, 2018 | ALERT
- January 31, 2018 | PRESS RELEASE
- September 8, 2017 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTCommercial Free SpeechThe Federalist SocietyMegan L. Brown, Speaker, Stephen J. Obermeier, Speaker
- February 17, 2017 | Teleforum | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTLitigation Update: American Bankers Association and Washington Federal v. U.S.Federalist SocietyStephen J. Obermeier, Speaker
- February 10, 2017 | MEDIA MENTIONLaw360 Covers Lawsuit Filed on Behalf of Wiley Rein Clients American Bankers Association and Washington Federal BankLaw360
- December 2016 | ARTICLEWashington Legal Foundation Critical Legal Issues: Working Paper SeriesStephen J. Obermeier, Author
- November 9, 2016 | ARTICLELaw360Stephen J. Obermeier
- September 23, 2016 | Chicago, IL | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTLoyola University Chicago Journal of Regulatory Compliance SymposiumStephen J. Obermeier, Speaker
- September 23, 2016 | PRESS RELEASE
- July 21, 2016 | Raleigh, NC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTGovernment Investigations and the False Claims Act in a Post-Escobar World – Where Are We Now and What's Next2016 Health Care Symposium: Governmental Investigations of Health Care EntitiesStephen J. Obermeier, Speaker
- July 2016 | NEWSLETTER
- July 8, 2016 | ARTICLELaw360Matthew J. Gardner, Stephen J. Obermeier
- July 6, 2016 | ARTICLEACLU Suit Attacks Computer Fraud and Abuse Act to Investigate Website Discrimination Using Controversial Online TacticsBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- June 28, 2016 | Online Webinar | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTUnited Health Services: Reshaping the False Claims Act Liability Landscape for Federal ContractorsWiley ReinRoderick L. Thomas, Speaker, Stephen J. Obermeier, Speaker
- June 3, 2016 | ARTICLEBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- May 16, 2016 | PRESS RELEASEU.S. District Court Grants Motion to Dismiss for Wiley Rein Client Deutsche Telekom in Contractual Dispute with Cogent Communications
- April 19, 2016 | ALERTMark B. Sweet, Stephen J. Obermeier
- April 6, 2016 | ARTICLELaw360Stephen J. Obermeier
- January 28, 2016 | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe Federalist Society Litigation Practice Group PodcastStephen J. Obermeier, Speaker
- January 5, 2016 | ARTICLELaw360Stephen J. Obermeier, Megan L. Brown
- November 23, 2015 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief in U.S. Supreme Court on Behalf of Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark in Case of “Economic Protectionism”
- April 23, 2014 | ALERTSupreme Court’s Recent Daimler AG v. Bauman Decision Could Have Important Effects on Personal Jurisdiction in Suits Against Multistate Corporations
- December 11, 2013 | ALERTRichard W. Smith, Stephen J. Obermeier
- May 31, 2013 | Princeton, NJ | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTIs the Judicial Confirmation Process Broken?Princeton Reunions 2013: Alumni-Faculty ForumsStephen J. Obermeier, Panelist