J.D., with distinction, Emory University School of Law; Order of the Coif
B.B.A., magna cum laude, Grand Valley State University
Executive Articles Editor, Emory Law Journal
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Tom represents for-profit and exempt organizations in a wide variety of corporate matters. He counsels clients in stock and asset acquisitions and sales, financing transactions, and negotiating commercial contracts, specializing in tenant-side commercial real estate office leases. In addition, Tom has significant experience in corporate governance matters, with particular expertise advising political and other nonprofit organizations on business and tax compliance issues.
- Handled multiple acquisitions and divestitures by public and private companies ranging from less than $1 million to more than $1.4 billion in communications, government contracts, and other regulated industries, including serving as lead counsel in negotiations, coordinating due diligence, and preparing financing, leasing, real property, and closing documentation.
- Advised tax-exempt organizations, including 501(c)(3) charitable organizations, 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations, 501(c)(6) trade associations, and 527 political organizations, on all aspects of corporate and tax matters, including: assisting with corporate formation and governance issues; drafting vendor and consulting agreements; applying for federal and state tax-exempt recognition; advising on compliance with IRS rules relating to permissible lobbying political activity; and preparing required tax disclosures, notices, and filings.
- Represented clients in all aspects of commercial real estate property transactions, including negotiating office, retail, industrial warehouse, studio and tower leases and subleases, and purchase and sale agreements. Involved at all stages of real estate transactions, from letter of intent to working with real estate brokers, negotiating primary lease and purchase agreements, and closing documentation. Represented dozens of tenants for a variety of occupancy needs, including for single office space in new and existing developments, partial and full floors of multi-tenant office buildings, and entire commercial buildings for retail and office use.
- Represented a major telecommunications provider in connection with its negotiation of over 100 competitive cable television franchise agreements, including advocating and testifying before state and local government boards and agencies on related communications, public policy, and corporate matters.
- Advised corporations, board of directors, and committees on corporate compliance and governance matters, including the establishment of appropriate policies and procedures, compliance with corporate formalities, state laws, and other regulations affecting businesses and organizations.
- Served as outside general counsel to closely held private companies and exempt organizations, advising on a wide range of business and legal matters to assist executives and managers in achieving their objectives consistent with applicable requirements and best practices.
- Negotiated commercial and financing agreements, joint ventures, partnerships, organizational agreements, and other entity-related agreements; employment and consulting agreements; and investment, loan, and security agreements.
- District of Columbia Bar
- Corporation, Finance and Securities Law Section
- Taxation Section, Exempt Organizations Committee
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA), Business Law Section
News & Insights
- July 17, 2018 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementAssociation of Corporate Counsel National Capital RegionCaleb P. Burns, Speaker, Thomas W. Antonucci, Speaker
- July 2018 | Newsletter
- December 27, 2005 | Press Release