J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
B.A., Louisiana State University
Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
Law Clerk for the Honorable Myron Bright, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit (1975-1976)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the Central District of Illinois, District of Columbia, District of Maryland, Eastern District of Arkansas, and Western District of Arkansas
Tom serves as senior counsel to Wiley Rein LLP. He handles complex, policy-oriented trial and appellate matters nationwide. Counsel in more than 70 published cases, he focuses on copyright, constitutional, and election law. Notable verdicts he has secured for his clients include one of the largest statutory damages copyright verdicts in U.S. history, an award recognized in the “NLJ 100.” He has obtained a series of judgments holding laws unconstitutional under the First Amendment and the Commerce Clause. Following his successful constitutional challenge to a statute limiting Internet speech, a federal judge said of Tom, “There have been few attorneys before the court as accomplished, trained, experienced, intelligent, and skilled….He is quite unique in his ability to combine the theoretical and the clinical.” PSINet v. Chapman (W.D.Va.)
- Appellate experience ranges from constitutional issues to bet-the-company class action and commercial matters in the Supreme Court of the United States and many federal and state appellate courts.
- Jury trial experience ranges from winning one of the largest copyright verdicts in U.S. history to a "not guilty" verdict for a client wrongfully accused of murder.
- Recent matters include:
- Center for Individual Freedom v. Madigan (N.D. Ill. 2010) - Constitutional challenge to Illinois statutes burdening independent issue advocacy.
- Lisa McConnell, Inc. v. Idearc, Inc. (S.D. Cal. and N.D. Tex (Br.)) - Won dismissal of copyright infringement suit demanding hundreds of millions of dollars from publishers of on-line yellow pages.
- Warren Communications News, Inc. v. Warrantech Corp. (D.D.C. 2009) - Half-million dollar copyright settlement for electronic newsletter publisher.
- Center for Individual Freedom v. Ireland (S.D. W.Va 2009) - Preliminary injunction striking down limits on speech near elections.
- Center for Individual Freedom v. Corbett (E.D. Pa 2009) - Judgment condemning attempt by Pennsylvania's Attorney General to suppress speech and awarding legal fees.
- National Association of Manufacturers v. Taylor (D.C. Cir. 2009) - First Amendment challenge to lobbying disclosure statute.
- AFP v. Google (D.D.C. 2008) - Defending right of Google News to use headlines, leads and thumbnail photos from copyrighted news sources.
- Lowry's Reports Inc. v. Legg Mason, 221 F.Supp.2d 737 (D. Md. 2003) - Won a $20 million jury award for copyright infringement; appeal dismissed.
- Newsletter copyright infringement cases - Many six-figure and seven-figure confidential settlements of copyright infringement claims against corporate and other institutional infringement.
- PSINet v. Chapman, 2004 U.S. App. LEXIS 5599 (4th Cir. 2004) - Successful use of First Amendment and Commerce Clause to overturn a Virginia statute restricting commercial Internet speech.
- McConnell v. FEC, 540 U.S. 93 (2003) - Represented Senator McConnell and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in a First Amendment challenge to the McCain-Feingold Act.
- Center for Individual Freedom v. Carmouche (5th Cir.) - Constitutional ruling narrowing vague limits on election speech.
- Alcohol Advertising Class Actions - Dismissal of all claims against American manufacturers and distributors of alcoholic beverages in six class action lawsuits alleging that industry advertising is to blame for underage drinking.
- Homier Dist. Co. v. New Bedford, 2002 WL 1586996 (D. Mass. 2002) - Judgment that law favoring local business violated the Constitution's Interstate Commerce Clause.
- In re Sealed Case - Defending a foreign telecommunications company in a grand jury investigation of alleged criminal price fixing.
- View a list of Mr. Kirby's reported cases.
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Copyright Law (2011, 2015-2017)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- May 31, 2017 | Press Release
- June 15, 2016 | Press Release
- January 27, 2016 | Press Release
- June 3, 2015 | Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 32 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Seven Practices Nationally; Four Partners Are ‘Leading Lawyers’
- May 18, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Represents Chevy Chase Voters Supporting Candidate Who Won Town Council Seat in Disputed Election
- December 19, 2014 | ArticleThe Circuits Agree: Copyright Statutory Damages Are Not Subject to State Farm/Gore Due Process Guidelines for Punitive Damages and Need Not Have Any Real Relationship to Actual DamagesBloomberg BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright JournalThomas W. Kirby, Richard W. Smith
- May 2014 | Newsletter
- April 23, 2014 | AlertSupreme Court’s Recent Daimler AG v. Bauman Decision Could Have Important Effects on Personal Jurisdiction in Suits Against Multistate Corporations
- August 3, 2012 | ArticleAppellate Law360Thomas W. Kirby
- May 2012 | NewsletterFederal Court Strikes Down FEC Regulation, Requires Broad Disclosures for Organizations Making Electioneering Communications
- June 2, 2011 | Press Release
- June 1, 2011 | Press ReleaseThe Legal 500 US Names Wiley Rein's Bankruptcy, Copyright and Telecom Practices Among the Best in the Nation; Wiley and Senkowski Honored as "Leading Lawyers"
- February 12, 2008 | Press Release
- November 7, 2007 | Press Release
- March 29, 2006 | Press ReleaseWRF Secures Dismissal of Fourth Class Action Lawsuit against Coors and Other Major American Beer and Spirits Manufacturers
- February 23, 2006 | Press ReleaseWRF Secures Dismissal of Another Class Action Lawsuit against Coors and Other Major American Beer and Spirits Manufacturers
- February 3, 2006 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding Secures Dismissal of Class Action Lawsuit against Coors and Other Major American Beer and Spirits Manufacturers
- November 16, 2005 | Press ReleaseWRF Files Supreme Court Brief in Campaign Finance Case on Behalf of the Chamber of Commerce of the U.S.
- September 22, 2005 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding Secures Dismissal of Class Action Lawsuit against Major American Beer and Spirits Manufacturers
- March 25, 2004 | Press Release
- February 20, 2004 | Press Release
- February 13, 2004 | Press Release
- December 10, 2003 | Press Release
- October 9, 2003 | Press Release
- October 6, 2003 | Press Release
- July 24, 2002 | Press Release
- June 20, 2002 | Press Release
- September 16, 2000 | Press ReleaseWRF Client Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corporation Scores Supreme Court Victory over FDA Jurisdiction
- May 1, 2000 | Press Release