J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
B.A., summa cum laude, Fordham University; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
New York Bar
Ralph is a former federal prosecutor whose practice focuses on the defense of criminal and civil government enforcement actions, corporate internal investigations, and political and congressional investigations. Recognized by Chambers USA as having “a wealth of experience” (2014) and "deep credibility with DOJ prosecutors" (2016), Ralph regularly defends companies and their executives in complex cases involving health care fraud, the False Claims Act (FCA), the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), antitrust, contract, grant, and procurement fraud, whistleblower allegations, and securities fraud. He has defended hospitals, insurance companies, major defense contractors, financial institutions, and manufacturers, and has extensive experience handling internal investigations and grand jury matters. Ralph is a member of the firm's Management Committee.
- Represented hospitals, defense contractors, and medical device manufacturers in FCA investigations.
- Represented several high-level executives in a range of industries in FCPA investigations, criminal antitrust investigations, and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) investigations.
- Represented companies and executives in criminal investigations relating to off-label marketing of medical devices.
- Represented generic drug manufacturers in government pricing investigations.
- Defended an antitrust investigation of the nation's largest privately held scrap metal company.
- Represented numerous individuals in public corruption investigations, including a U.S. Senator, Members of the U.S. House of Representatives, Executive branch officials, and lobbyists.
- Represented several nonprofit corporations in internal investigations involving allegations of board and management misconduct.
- Routinely represents companies in connection with procurement fraud, FCA, FCPA, Anti-Kickback Act, and other civil and criminal fraud allegations and issues.
- Representation of corporate and individual clients in Senate and House congressional investigations.
- Representation of government contractors in investigations related to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) set-aside program.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia (1990-1995)
- Focused on the investigation and prosecution of white collar criminal matters.
- Prosecuted numerous jury trials in both the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the Superior Court of the District of Columbia and argued appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
- Recipient of Special Achievement Awards from the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) for his work as a prosecutor and special commendations from the U.S. Secret Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for his successful prosecution of complex financial fraud cases.
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, White Collar Crime Committee
- Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court
- William B. Bryant Inn of Court
- Board of Directors, Fordham University Club of Washington, DC
- Course Advisor, Effective Prosecution of Financial and Cyber Crime, International Law Institute
- Board Member, Washington Legal Foundation, Legal Policy Advisory Board
- Out-of-State, Post 2, Board of Governors, State Bar of Georgia (2012-2014)
- Assistant United States Attorneys' Association for the District of Columbia
- President (2002, 2012)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (2019)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (2014-2019)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Criminal Defense: White Collar by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2018)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Criminal Defense: White-Collar Law (2009-2020) and FDA Law (2018-2020)
- Received 2015 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
- Named a "Life Sciences Star" for outstanding Government Enforcement/Investigation work in Euromoney's LMG Life Sciences (2015-2018)
News & Insights
- February 27, 2020 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT2020 Qui Tam ConferenceRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- October 29, 2019 | PRESS RELEASE
- September 24, 2019 | Boston, MA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTAdvaMed's - MEDTECH ConferenceRalph J. Caccia, Moderator
- June 3, 2019 | PRESS RELEASE
- May 1, 2019 | PRESS RELEASEChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 12 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- March 6, 2019 | ARTICLEReassessing the Cost-Benefit Calculation of Joint Defense Agreements in the Modern Corporate Enforcement Era
- September 26, 2018 | San Francisco, CA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTRecent Enforcement Trends in Life Sciences: Understanding Areas of Concern from Advertising/Promotion to Competition and GMP EnforcementFifth Annual Life Sciences Legal SummitRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- August 10, 2018 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Attorneys Lead International Law Institute Seminar: ‘Effective Prosecution of Financial Crimes, Human Trafficking, and Cybercrime’
- May 7, 2018 | PRESS RELEASEChambers USA Recognizes 32 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 12 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- February 12, 2018 | Scottsdale, AZ | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTApplying New Department of Justice Compliance Standards to the Managed Care Context2018 Managed Care Compliance ConferenceRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- December 7, 2017 | Atlanta, GA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTGeorgia Health Care Fraud InstituteRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- October 29, 2017 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTHCCA's 3rd Annual Healthcare Enforcement Compliance InstituteRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- May 26, 2017 | PRESS RELEASEChambers USA Recognizes 27 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 11 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- February 28, 2017 | McLean, VA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTGovernment Contracts Forum: International Compliance Challenges in 2017 – What Government Contractors Need to KnowAssociation of Corporate CounselRalph J. Caccia, Jack Shane
- February 14, 2017 | ALERT
- December 14, 2016 | Online Webinar | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe Food and Drug Law InstituteRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- December 8, 2016 | Atlanta, GA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTGeorgia Health Care Fraud InstituteRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- June 17, 2016 | MEDIA MENTIONRisk & Insurance
- June 9, 2016 | Online Webinar | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: 2016 Enforcement and Compliance PrioritiesWiley Rein
- June 6, 2016 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTInternational Law InstituteRalph J. Caccia, Speaker, Kevin B. Muhlendorf, Speaker
- May 27, 2016 | PRESS RELEASEChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 13 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- May 13, 2016 | Indian Wells, CA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTABA's 26th Annual National Institute on Health Care FraudRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- May 2, 2016 | ALERTDOJ Compliance Counsel, VimpelCom Resolution, and FCPA Pilot Program Highlight Opportunities Presented for Telecom Industry by Robust Compliance, Self-disclosure, and Cooperation in Foreign Bribery Cases
- April 28, 2016 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTABA's Seventh National Institute on Internal Corporate Investigations and Forum for In-House CounselRalph J. Caccia, Panelist
- April 2016 | NEWSLETTER
- March 2016 | NEWSLETTER
- March 10, 2016 | ARTICLE
- February 29, 2016 | ARTICLE
- January 20, 2016 | NEWSLETTER
- December 2015 | NEWSLETTER
- December 2, 2015 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Recognized in LMG Life Sciences 2015 Guide as a Leader in FDA Law for Pharmaceutical Work
- August 17, 2015 | PRESS RELEASETwenty-Two Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers
- June 11, 2015 at Noon - 1 pm | Wiley Rein Webinar | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT
- May 19, 2015 | PRESS RELEASEChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 13 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- April 23, 2015 | PRESS RELEASE
- April 20, 2015 | Phoenix, AZ | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT2015 Blue National SummitDorthula H. Powell-Woodson, Speaker, Ralph J. Caccia, Speaker
- February 4, 2015 | Wiley Rein Webinar | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTTaking it to the States: Recent Developments and Trends in State False Claims Act MattersRalph J. Caccia
- January 28, 2015 | NEWSLETTER
- January 27, 2015 | ARTICLEBloomberg BNA’s Federal Contracts ReportGregory M. Williams, Ralph J. Caccia
- January 22, 2015 | ARTICLE
- November 2014 | ARTICLEBriefing PapersGregory M. Williams, Ralph J. Caccia
- October 16, 2014 | MEDIA MENTIONBloomberg BNA
- September 24, 2014 | MEDIA MENTIONSonali Gunawardhana Previews Upcoming AdvaMed Panel on the Department of Justice’s Focus on Safety and FDA cGMP EnforcementMed Device Online
- August 18, 2014 | PRESS RELEASETwenty-Nine Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 22 Practice Areas in the 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers
- June 27, 2014 | ALERTRalph J. Caccia, Mark B. Sweet
- June 27, 2014 | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTWiley Rein Government Contracts Boot Camp Series: "Recent Developments in the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act" Webinar
- June 24, 2014 | Chicago, IL | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTInside Recent FCPA Settlements and Declinations: What They Reveal about the Impact of Voluntary Disclosures on the Penalty AwardedACI's 6th Chicago FCPA Boot CampRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- June 6, 2014 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTSettlement of an FCA Procurement Case10th National Institute on the Civil False Claims Act and Qui Tam EnforcementRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- May 23, 2014 | PRESS RELEASEChambers USA Recognizes 34 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 15 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- April 25, 2014 | PRESS RELEASE“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- April 4, 2014 | ARTICLEBloomberg BNA's White Collar Crime Report
- March 28, 2014 | ALERTRalph J. Caccia, Brandon J. Moss
- Winter 2014 | NEWSLETTER
- February 18, 2014 | PRESS RELEASE
- February 14, 2014 | ARTICLEBloomberg BNA's International Trade Daily Bulletin; Bloomberg BNA's International Trade Reporter
- February 2014 | ARTICLE
- February 7, 2014 | MEDIA MENTIONHarvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance
- February 5, 2014 | ARTICLEThe Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation
- January 29, 2014 | New York, NY | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTWhat Every Legal Practitioner Should Know About State-Level False Claims Statutes, Cases, and Enforcement: An In-depth Review of State-Specific Statutes, Big Ticket Cases, and Emerging Risk FactorsACI's Advanced Forum on False Claims & Qui Tam EnforcementRalph J. Caccia, Speaker
- January 9, 2014 | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTBest Practices in Internal InvestigationsFederal Publications SeminarsKara M. Sacilotto, Speaker, Ralph J. Caccia, Speaker
- January 8, 2014 | ARTICLEBloomberg BNA's Telecommunications Law Resource Center
- December 19, 2013 | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTWiley Rein Government Contracts Boot Camp Series: "Effective Internal Investigations: Best Practices and Recent Developments" Webinar
- August 15, 2013 | PRESS RELEASETwenty-Six Wiley Rein Partners Recognized Across 18 Practice Areas in the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers
- August 12, 2013 | San Francisco , CA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTAnatomy of a False Claims Act Case: Investigation, Prosecution, and Defense of False Claims Act CasesABA's Section of Public Contract Law 2013 Annual MeetingRalph J. Caccia, Moderator
- July/August 2013 | ARTICLEThe Metropolitan Corporate CounselRalph J. Caccia, Robert L. Walker
- June 24, 2013 | ALERT
- May 15, 2013 | ARTICLERalph J. Caccia
- April 19, 2013 | PRESS RELEASE
- December 2012 | ALERTThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Volume 20, No. 12
- November 2012 | NEWSLETTER
- August 22, 2012 | PRESS RELEASETwenty-One Wiley Rein Partners Recognized Across 18 Practice Areas in the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers
- June 27, 2012 | PRESS RELEASE